Thursday, August 9, 2012

Media Training Today

This morning I had an opportunity to meet with the entire Stetson football team to provide some media training tips and advice. The guys appeared to pay attention and some even took notes.

Over the last few years I have sort of become known for my media training sessions. We hit on almost every possible scenario and cover things such as social media responsibility, the differences in dealing with TV and print media, and just general tips on how to handle interview situations.

I showed the new Hatters pretty much the same demonstration I used last year at Troy, including some of the tweets that were way off color. The laughs came at pretty much the right times, so my delivery must have been OK.

I got to tell the guys some stories from my career in athletics, including some guys I worked with who became true professionals in dealing with the media. Those guys include Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich, DeMarcus Ware and Jerrel Jernigan.

I'd like to think that I helped all of those guys, and many others, prepare for what they face now as NFL players, but I also I helped the many hundreds of others who did not go on to play professionally.

After having practice cancelled by rain and lightening last night, I know the players and coaches are anxious to get back onto the field tonight. After our session, the players were to spend much of the afternoon getting fitted for shoulder pads.

It will still be shorts for the guys tonight at 7 p.m.

Here is a link to the story that WKMG in Orlando did on the return of Stetson football. CLICK HERE

WFTV and WESH have also both been to practice, but I haven't seen their reports posted online yet.

You can keep up with all news coverage of the Hatters through the official athletics web site, GoHatters.com. Just look under the Inside Athletics tab on the front page and look for Hatters News Links.

No comments:

Post a Comment